What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct method of primary health care that utilizes natural therapies to treat acute and chronic health conditions. These therapies include botanical medicine, acupuncture, homeopathy, and physical manipulation.
The foundation of this medicine is based on The 6 Tenets of Naturopathic Medicine:
1) The Healing Power of Nature – The body has an innate ability to heal itself. This is self-evident when you get a paper cut on your finger. Over the course of a few days, your body naturally heals the cut and leaves behind no trace, without any conscious thought or intervention by you. Naturopathic therapies seek to optimize this innate healing power, to encourage the body to heal itself from within.
2) Identify and Treat the Causes – Naturopathic medicine focuses on finding the root cause of why disease occurs, and aims to remove this root cause as opposed to treating the symptoms.
3) First Do No Harm – Our treatments are generally safe, gentle, and non-invasive. Our goal is to utilize these treatments first before considering other invasive therapies such as surgery.
4) Doctor as Teacher – The word ‘doctor’ is from the Latin word ‘docere’ which means ‘teach.’ Education gives one power. By educating our patients on the tools to help them achieve optimal wellness, Naturopathic doctors strive to empower their patients to take control over their own health. By shifting this balance towards the patient, everlasting changes in better health are possible.
5) Treat the Whole Person – It is becoming increasingly apparent through scientific research that there is a definite Mind-Body connection. Naturopathic medicine takes into account the physical symptoms in addition to the mental and emotional symptoms that could lead to an imbalance in the body’s ability to maintain health and acts to restore it from a holistic perspective.